Friday, March 31, 2017

Week 5 Educational Technologies (Facebook and LinkedIn)

Week 5 Blog
Educational Technologies Blog
This week’s assignment focuses on networking technologies that will enhance adult learning. The first networking technology I will discuss is LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the largest business-focused social networking site around. LinkedIn was developed to engage people professionally; this site is free allowing professionals to find clients, colleagues, and network with other individuals with a similar occupational background. The second networking technology is Facebook. Facebook is a widely-used networking site with over a billion users. Facebook allows customers to connect with classmates and new friends; it also reconnects users with old friends and family. Users can share family pictures and videos with friends while surfing the site to find out the latest news and friend update status. Facebook can be an educational tool useful for classroom instruction. Instructors can create a class Facebook page that connects all students where they can post useful information to classmates, ask questions, and communicate with the professor (Moore, Graham, & Lee, 2014).
Why I chose Facebook and LinkedIn as my networking technologies are, they both work great together and separately as a tool sufficient for classroom use. Facebook helps classmates to interact outside the classroom, create group activities, and watch videos useful to class assignments. LinkedIn helps students post resumes, and other critical information needed to catch the attention of prospective employers (Moore, Graham, & Lee, 2014).
Incorporating Facebook and LinkedIn into my professional practice takes time, people and patience. Using social networking can create a dialogue with students guaranteeing they receive the correct message. Utilizing social networking in professional practice gives the understanding that there are differences in the way we all communicate. To create a flow in my professional practice, I will design an app and link all social networking profiles (Kling, 2007).

References
Kling, R. (2007). What is Social Informatics and why Does it Matter? The Information Society an International Journal, (23), 205-220.
Moore, M. L., Graham, L., & Lee, S. (2014). A look at the Research on Computer-Based Technology Use in Second Language Learning. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, (34), 250-273.

.

5 comments:

  1. Torsha,
    I think that LinkedIn is an excellent social media account to expose students to. I would incorporate this social media into my classroom by presenting students with the information on what LinkedIn is and how to use it. I would encourage them to create an account and start following companies and recruiters that they are interested in gaining employment with during or when they are done with their education. It will also teach the students how to create and update resumes so they will always have an updated copy to fill out jobs with. I also think your idea about a class Facebook page is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Torsha.
    I am not well versed with LinkedIn. Yet, I recognize how it could be an asset to learners. I would use LinkedIn as an informational tool by asking learners to observe what employers are seeking in and expecting from employees. This would assist learners in creating and working towards goals that align with demands of employers. I am not on Facebook, but I am aware of its many facets and capabilities. You expressed a wonderful method for incorporating Facebook into the classroom. I can't think of any better way :-)
    -Vankita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Torsha.
    I enjoyed your post this week. It has inspired me to dig deeper into the LinkedIn platform and learn what it has to offer. There seems to be more to it than I realized. I have an account, but until now, I have only used it as a place to store my resume and provide information about myself to potential future employers. Your post has definitely caused me to want to learn more. Thank you Torsha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ms. Childs I enjoy using Linkedin. It is a great professional networking site. It allows you to get job leads and industry trend information from individuals that are in the field. However, I think that Facebook would not be a good educational resource because of its propensity to thrive on drama. Great post and continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ms. Childs. Look me up on google...keithbrown552@gmail.com. hint...#HAILSTATE :)

    ReplyDelete